Wednesday 28 July 2010

The Guitar Strap Lady

Six of Christine's Straps at an Eagles Concert.
Photo: courtesy of Greg Rule
I know it gets a lot of flak, and to be honest I'm probably not its greatest exponent anyway, but sometimes on Facebook (and you can befriend us HERE, of course, la la la) you come across really interesting people doing somewhat amazing things.

One such lady is The Guitar Strap Lady, aka. Christine Rea, who makes what are quite simply the most beautiful guitar straps you'll ever see. OK, not the most rock 'n' roll purchase you'll ever make, but if you are a pro you can't really underestimate a bit of comfort, and lets face it if you are a Les Paul player, anything that saves your back is a godsend.

Anyway, the straps, as you can see, are brilliantly designed. Christine does that and they are a bit of a must have for the rock aristos, with Kenny Loggins among the people that the delightful Ms.Rea has made them for.

The cost? Well, with each one taking a couple of months to make by hand, it won't be a surprise that they cost a bit - $1200 for a custom order, but then what price your back, eh?

Anyway, I was going to get journo-like and rewrite this in my own barely-literate style, But I asked Christine a couple of questions and this was her description of what it is all about, which is far more illuminating…

“I started making my guitar straps about 20 years. I had been a huge Kenny Loggins fan for about 8 years and wanted a way to say thank you to Kenny for all the free concerts I had gone to.

I didn't want to give him something that would go into what I call "the halls of memorabilia never to be seen again". I had no clue how to make them and spun the idea around in my head for about a year until I decided to just try it.

My influence is Native American. I lived in NW Montana for about 14 years and love that country and the Native American Culture. I made 2 straps for Kenny Loggins (gifts) within a year period. Timothy B. Schmit and I went to the same high school but I had never met him until I sneaked backstage at a Dan Fogelberg concert in Los Angeles in 1993/94.

I just happened to have Kenny's straps with me to show Timothy and he loved them.

That first guitar strap was completed just before opening night of the "Hell Freezes Over" Eagles reunion.

I have currently made 8 or 9 straps for Timothy. I was able to get a brochure backstage at a George Strait concert in Pennsylvania and heard from his manager the following week that George wanted a strap.

I have made 3 straps for George. Timothy B. Schmit turned me onto Bernie Leadon (one of the original Eagles) and I made a strap for him.

It takes me about 2 months to make a strap so I am unable to mass produce them to sell in a shop.

The great thing about technology is that I just need access to the internet, a telephone and FedEx and I am set for business. I get great satisfaction from seeing some of my favourite performers wearing my guitar straps, especially on award shows.

I have yet to get to Jon Bon Jovi and Keith Urban but I am trying!”

You can find out more about Christine’s beautiful work at her website HERE and you really should, as the designs are perfection.

No comments: