Tuesday 20 July 2010

Feelin' Mellow, Getting Funky

Double Cream Bare Knuckle Lurve-li-ness
Well, I think this week will prove to be genuinely productive by my slackish Jooky standards, after all.

The reason for my optimistic Tuesday morningesque feeling is because I've just wired-up and screwed together the Mellow One, and I have to say it is a wee bit of a dream.

I even tuned it up and everything.

I have to say I've heard lots about Bare Knuckle pickups - they are handwound, made from the finest ingredients and everything else, and I have even played a couple of Les Pauls with their thingies well and truly plumbed-in, and been impressed. But the sheer clarity of the 'Rebel Yell' pickup I've put in the Mellow One is astonishing. As I said before I went with the single knob, but have coil tapped the pickup using a push-pull pot so that you have a lovely glassy single coil sound that quickly switches to a hot git of a humbucker. Absolutely lovely, if I say so meself. And man is it loud, really, really loud and clear as a bell - until you crank up the amp a tad and then - proper mayhem.

The one thing I'm really pleased about though is the neck. I think I said that it was nice, but I've taken some of the gloss off since then and given it a light oil. It looks nice and worn in now and has that slightly rough finish that I love. It really feels like you are playing it, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, fotos to follow a little later after I played it in and tweaked the set-up a wee bit, but #13 is a doozy, nuff said. Here is a rough one though, showing off the 'Double Cream' pickup and quite beautiful knob.

In summary, all good then. Lovely.

***

The other reason for optiwotsit though is that the Funky wee Telecaster one is also pretty close to being done - and should certainly be ready to chug later this week. The paisleyification is all in place and the final coat of lacquer is hardening as I type. For a change I've gone as nature intended and kept two humbuckers in place, although there is a nice touch as far as the covers go. I think you'll approve. I think it will prove to be a bit of a rock god, to be honest and can't wait to fire it up come the weekend.

So there we are, and if I can get my act together to start the Cigar Box Guitar before Wednesday, I'll feel like I'm back on track.

No comments: