Friday 9 July 2010

Can You See What It Is Yet?

Well, the Mellow One, gord bless it, has started the rocky road to Jookydom, and as I seem to keep forgetting to put any WIP images up, I thought I would do it while I remember..

Two fotos here..

1. Is the scratchplate, which will eventually be cut for a single humbucker. My hopes for the handwound one went belly up when I tried it as it basically didn't work, so I've instead decided to try a pickup I've meant to use for a while, an IronGear Hot Slag.

This is a warmer than normal PAF type of thing, but I'm going to coil tap it so that we'll have the option for a single coil twang. Always good to have a bit of a twang to hand, that's what me granny always used to say, but then it was a WW2 Burlesque thing, and she played the mandolin, so what can you say.

This bit of tapping I'm going to 'facilitate' with a push-pull knob, which means a lovely simplicity - one pickup, one volume knob with hidden extras.

Anyway, the paisley cloth has been applied to the scratchplate and will be getting a few more coats of the grain fuiller bobbins over the next 24 hours or so.

2. The second foto shows the back of the guitar body. This too has had the cloth applied and will carry on being coated for the next day or so. After that it will be a case of folding and sealing around the edges, before repeating the whole exercise on the front of the guitar. I'll put another foto up later this week of the body, when the cloth has been trimmed away - it'll look less like a Magic Eye picture then...

Other than that, the neck has been sanded and the 'logo' and name burned into the headstock. #13, maybe like hotel floor I should have skipped this one.
Anyway, once that was done, the coats of Danish Oil have started to be added to the back of the neck and headstock. The fretboard is nice and will be untouched apart from that the frets are a bit on the tarnished side so they will get a polish.

So there we are, work-in-progress. Tis all good.

No comments: