Wednesday 22 September 2010

Gordon Smith - That's the way to do it...

I was talking about my plans for the yet-to-be-named guitars I want to make, and how they will be different from the total-one-offs I've been putting together so far.

For the infrequent flyers among you, the basic idea was that people would get a bit more of a choice. My attempt at a vaguely custom-like made-to-order thingie.

All of the associated hot air reminded me of the rather wonderful Gordon Smith Guitars, as basically that is exactly what they do - they have some fantastic designs and put you a guitar together to order.

Not that I'm saying GS are full of hot air - I think they are fantastic - or that Jooky ones will look like Gordon Smith's, there's not a lot of point in doing that, but I don't mind admitting that they are pretty inspirational and I'm not too shy to copy a good idea here or even over thereish.

My favourite Gordon Smith guitar is probably the simplest, the GS 1.6. It is under-stated, simplistic and utterly brilliant to play. I'll try and remember to put a photo up of one, but to give you an idea it is a sort of single pickup Les Paul Junior type-o-thing - the one I prefer, obviously, is the one with a P90 rather than the coil-tapped humbie.

You might think that it is odd to be praising 'a copy' of a Gibson classic, but the two I've tried are much better than the Gibbo equivalent, the tones much more usable and the necks are beauty-filled to play, so no apologies for that.

GS are the pooch's bobbins as far as I'm concerned, and the consistent six-month waiting list reinforces that. They are also handmade by a British luthier, not churned out of a robotic CNC on a production line, so they are truly individual, and beautifully made.

(I have no affiliation with GS Guitars, by the way, I just like them. So there.)

So am I going to rip off their guitars?
Nope, I want to make something different, but I can see the sense of how they work and I like the way they do things. So maybe that I will unashamedly snaffle

No comments: