Saturday 16 February 2013

Bit More Babylon Going On

Well, the bodies for The Babylon Blue and Scooby Doo Ones should be here next week sometime, so with The Black Russian ready for the final put-together, things are definitely starting to look up.

The Babylon Blue and Scooby Doo Ones
The Babylon Blue One is of course the second of the recent customs I've been talking about. The neck arrived a couple of weeks back, but with the imminent arrival of the body, it is starting to feel a bit more real.

This is going to be an interesting one for lots of reasons, but I'm going to be doing more of a relic job than I normally do and using nitro paints, so I'm quite pleased about that.

I've kinda avoided such things as relics are twelve-a-penny and I prefer distressing things to get a look rather than to try and looked as though they have been dragged behind a No11 around the Outer Circle, so I guess this will really be somewhere in between.

The neck is a nitro finished Tele one, left handed though it will be reversed and it sports block inlays. It was a bit of a gamble because it came from a U.S luthier I'd never heard of before, but the quality is good so it paid off.

The body is one of Jezz's, so I know what I'm getting there and as I say the finish is going to be quite excitingly cool.

As for the rest, we are yet to nail down the pickups, but a Tele neck one seems most likely - a rail probably - and something twangier at the bridge, whether that is a Ricky one or perhaps something like a Filtertron or Wide Range Humbucker, I'm not sure.

The final part of the jiggysaw is whether it has a Bigsby type of tremolo or if we have some other tailpiece.]

But all in all it may sound odd but I think it will prove to be something special - hope Damo likes it anyway.

More generally, with the new web site not a million miles away I think I'm going to be offering to do more customs as they are good fun if they work as collaborations. Maybe it is ego, but I don't do this for the dosh and I'm not really cut out for 'customer service', so this works on both levels. Anyway, if I don't find it interesting it either won't get done or worse it will be half-hearted, so nobody is better off.

I'm such a strop-laden artist...

La la laaaa

No comments: