Wednesday 20 February 2013

And Now For Something Different

Well, I know that I've said before that Strats aren't really for me. I've owned loads over the years and I like the shape, but the three pickups get in the way and they never seem to stick around for long.

But still, I quite fancy having a Strat around the place, I love SRV and that chap with the hair, Hendrix or something, and well, there is nothing like that in-between-sound, is there?

So, being a recidivist in excelsis, I thought it was about time I tried to break my usual habits and see if that made a difference. So the obvious starting point is to do a Jooky Strat with (shock) three single coils and as I managed to get myself a nice swamp ash body to play with, all was timely indeedy..

So avoiding my usual go-direct-to-vintage-spec, It is going to be more of a modern Strat, so it won't have a scratchplate and as the ash looks nice I think it might end-up stained some colour or other, though perhaps rusty might be nice. I'll have a think.

In fact, I've just put a rosewood stain on it, which is a lot darker than it looks in the foto, but there we are. It looks nice either way. And I think it will end-up pretty beaten up, so it probably doesn't mater anyway.

As for the neck, I can't not have a big ol' CBS headstock, and I want Rosewood or Ebony or the board, so we'll see.

I usually go for vintage trems, but wanted this to be a hardtail with thru-body-stringing-for-sustain-like-a-lickle-blue-tab, so that is the plan there.

Other than that, I usually go for split Klusons so I'll probably go for locking tuners, just to be obtuse.

And that is about it.

Oh, wiring - I've already got a Mojo loom from another Strat project I aborted, but I will no doubt try a set of Marc's Mojo Pickups as I've never tried his Strat ones and probably won't do this again.

Knowledge is important of course, even for those of us that be powerless.

And there we find ourselves, that will be The Spindrifting One, popping up around here one day soonish, perhaps, probably maybe.

La la laaa

2 comments:

Paz said...

......you've forgotten the most iconic (IMHO) strat ever.....that of one Mr Rory Gallagher!!!

Try getting that finish....I dare you!!!!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, I've never forgotten that one...just not sure I should be sleeping in ditches with my guitar at my tender age...