Monday 14 November 2011

A Start: The Sick One

Rust-a-go-go
Well, I mentioned The Sick One the other day, and in lieu of being able to work on anything else, I started to gather the parts.

I think I said that I'd got a pine Esquire body and a nice maple/rosewood tele neck to go with it. Both of these arrived quick smart, and after a bit of sanding in all the old familiar places, snuggly nestled together like old chums in a bus shelter.

As for the rest of the bobbins, I had a quick chat with Allan of Catswhisker fame about his Tele shaped P90 pickups, and he is going to wind me one in a made-to-measure kind of way. As this is going to be a true Esquire in that it will be a single pickup, I've gone for a clever coil tapp thingie. I had asked Allan about overwinding it and he suggested that we could effectively use two coils - one that will be normal P90 strength, with the second being used to give a boost when it cuts in. Clever geezer that Catswhisker chap.

Anyway, controls will be a simple volume and tone combo, with the exception that a quick yank on the Volume knob giving the boost, as it were.

As for the finish, well, I've removed the lacquer off the body and given the top the first couple of coats of iron paint. This is going to go a bit differently from those that have gone before as I think I'm going to build up some layers of iron/rust/lacquer, with a coup de wonkiness being either a smattering of bronze or copper, corroded of course.

I've not done it this way before, but I think it will be pretty cool at the end.

Well, I hope so.

The truth is, I really don't know, of course, but as this one doesn't have to be complete until January the fact that it'll take a few weeks just for the top shouldn't matter too much if I've got the rest sorted.

Other than that, it'll be a modern steel bridge, probably Wilkinson or Gotoh or something and some good tuners of similar ilk.

And there we are. The Sick One. Game on.


Lacquer off, two, three

Battleship grey, three, four

Textured coat, five, seven

Ooh, look at that twirliness, 6,viii


No comments: