Monday 7 November 2011

The Sound of Deafening Silence

Hmm, well Les Paul week took a bit of a knock today, as after replacing every pot and the switch and then all of the wire, it turns out that The Old Burny One's silence in the bridge pickup department, is down to the bridge pickup not putting out.

Not a glimmer.

Not a peep.

The worst thing is that I am sure, positive and not a little certain that testing it was the first thing I did.

Though there is a smidgen of doubt as it is always possible that I simply tested the neck pickup twice.

Either way, everything else is perfect, I've dropped a 'scratch' pickup in there to make sure and there we are. I'm hoping Allan at Catswhisker will revive the pickup as lets face it after so much time, I'm more than a bit curious to find out what a Gibson/Bill Lawrence 'The Original' actually sounds like. I could put other pickups in, but I've waited this long, and...

I know, I may well hate them when I finally hear them, but there we are.

As for The Wasteland One, well, the wiring loom isn't here yet, so I was waiting on that anyway. I have though re-fitted all the parts I fitted before and then took off, so that is all we are missing now - and yes, I've tested the pickups - both of them. Twice..

Doesn't feel a lot to show for day one though, I hate to admit.

In other news, it seems my little Explorer will actually be here on Thursday, which is good. It is coming (had been coming for a fortnight) from Ireland, but after a little local difficulty (it being mis-delivered to a perplexed lady in Galway), it now seems to be finding it's way again. I love a good courier saga, it almost makes me feel competent.

No comments: