Saturday 19 January 2013

The Shonkiness Starts Here...Finally

Well, snow stopped play yesterday, of course, but somehow a sherpa got thru this morning with a couple of bodies to play with, which always puts a smile on the mush.

So I've been thinking proper-like about The Shonky One, and I think I have a leetle plan.

In case you don't remember, and why would you, I've always loved the look of the old Gibson scroll topped mandolin, and so after he did me such a lovely Teardrop or two for me, I asked Jezz at Woodroffe to do me a guitar-sized body based on the mandolin shape, and he has only gorn and done it, I'm really chuffed.

It's really nice to see your madder ideas turned into 3D and off-the-wall it may well be, but I think it should make a quite stunning guitar..

Jezz must agree as you can now buy your own from him too, as well as the Teardrops, I feel all flattered.

As for the Shonky's finish, I want something Jookily classic and so am going to stain back and sides a dark oak or perhaps mahogany, and then try something new on the top. It will be based on bronze/acid corrosion, but I'm going to try and do a burst the old fashioned way, which should be fun and look rather crazy cool in a restrained and subtle way, as I always try to achieve in everything I do.

As for the rest, it will have a Strat neck and I think a hardtail bridge, just to be awkward, while pickup-wise, I'm planning on some of the Harmony inspired 'buckers Marc at Mojo Pickups was tempting me with recently, but I need to check the measurements and all that and there is a bit of woodworking to do before I get started anyway, so there is no panic.

The other body was the semi-acousticalified Jazzmasterish body, and that is going to have something quite different I feel. The Hartlepool One is going to sparkle somewhat, it is a while since I made Hartlepool sparkle. Monkey magic indeed.

La la laaa



No comments: