Monday 21 January 2013

Scrolling Back The Tears

Staining Guitars is Tricky Business
So Brandy and Smarties help
Well, another week in paradise delayed, and I thought I'd get a shift on as far as The Shonky One goes, as it is too lovely for words.

First things to do were to drill a few holes for the wiring - I'm making a special effort here, I normally forget until I've started the finish and then get worried.

That was easy enough, and I've put three holes in the top too for good measure as I'm thinking a three-way-switch, a volume pot and a jack socket. I know it is minimal but there we are. Maybe a tone pot too, I didn't thing about that earlier. I could always put the jack socket on the edge instead.

There, simple, decision decided.

After that there was a bit of sanding to soften the edges and flatten the top and bottom and all that, which is fun. I find sanding quite therapeutic these days, and I almost feel like I know something after using a handarulic dril and sanding block. Like I'm a grown-up.

From there I decided to stain the back and sides with a nice dark oak. I've used this stain a few times now and really like it for some reason. Not as warm as your mahogany or rosewood, which is a plus at times, but I think it looks classy and I have to hang on to such driftwood when I'm struggling to keep a metaphor afloat..

That I brush on, rub back and then apply again with wire wool which gives a nice finish.

Rather than hard wax oil this time, I'm going for an ageing varnish as I want a slightly more classical look to the back, and it works well when I distress it a bit later on. When I say distress I don't mean relic, that isn't my thing really, but I like the worn look and a few dints and scrapes go with that.

That will take a couple of days of coats and drying anyway, so not a lot else to report really there.

When I do get to the front, I probably said that I'm going to have a go at doing an acid burst, which should be fun as it will involve spraying acid around rather than paint and all the laughs and fun that offers.

The top is going to be bronzed to start with, and then the acid sprayed to corrode it in a bursty manner around the edges, with less in the middle. It should work and I am vaguely confident, but until you try these things, who really knows.

Oh, if anybody from Customs is reading this - can I have my three necks, please?

La la laaaa

No comments: