Monday 14 January 2013

Of Burford's 'The Reefer' Sitar Pedal, Frou-ish Teardrops and Japanese Fenders

Well, this week seems to be starting as well as last week went, and so I'm really not sure how much will get done. However, following on from the joy that is The Seaside One and the still-in-need-of-strings The Mysterio One, I did manage to get The Frou Frou Fox One further along, despite the fact that I'm not happy with the neck and have added that to my growing list of guitars-awaiting-necks. It has now been wired up and has a ruffle to die for and I'm happy that at least I am as far as I can get along the road.

One thing I'm still not entirely sure about is the bridge. As you can't see, I'd planned to go for a floating one, but I'm not sure now - mainly as I think the strings will be 3" above the fretboard with the one I intended using, so I need to consider such things.

So in summary, not a lot happening at the moment until the postie gives up some parts.

Two things that did arrive last week were a nice old 90s Japanese Telecaster, which came from a cool geezer called Andy who will find The Black Russian One going in the opposite direction once the neck puts in an appearance. The Tele has been modded, I think it is fair to say, rather lovely new neck, locking tuners, plain black 'plate, funny coil-tapped rails pickup at the bridge, and I'm really liking it. I may have to swap the rails as I'm a bit old fashioned about these things, but there we are. Something to strum.

The other new arrival is a Burford Electronics "The Reefer" Pedal, which is loads of fun as it makes your guitar sound like a 60s Coral Sitar Guitar (Coral, Reefer, very impressive wordplay.) And this really is a joy to play around with, especially doing single string things and the odd drone. I dug out a scale book and tried it with some vaguely Indian style bobbins and it definitely has that sound, though it does sound like a sitar guitar rather than a sitar, but then there are only six strings so you can't expect miracles.

I'd not tried any of Burford's effects before, but £69 is dead cheap especially as it sounds better than the EHX Ravish Sitar which costs more than twice the price. Build quality is really good too. I might have to try a few more of their pedals soon. This has even stayed in the house and being used for four days now without being Ebay'd which is a new record in itself. This is where you can find Burford's effects, designed by Alan Exley and well worth a punt.

But what to do? I don't really know.

La la laaa



No comments: