Wednesday 12 October 2011

WIP:The Elmer One

Well, it feels kinda good to have actually finished something, and The Drip Dry One is quite beautiful, and a touch raunchy around the edges. That old DiMarzio is something else though, and I'm preening slightly as I wired it out-of-phase with the P90 at the neck so that the middle-position has a lovely BB King/Peter Green hollowness about it. If you twiddle with the tone knob, there is all manner of goodness to be had.

Step 1: Cover the body with variegated gold leaf
There's a lesson for us all, right there.

As for your next question, which I'm guessing is 'So are you going to finish any of the other things you've half-started and left cluttering-up the place', assuming you live with me, that is, well, I think The Old Burny One is closest and should prove to be the (gulp) easiest.

It is actually a lot easier to start things, I've found, than finish them.
You may have noticed.

Speaking of starting things, which I'm not doing until I've finished everything else, of course, I did happen to accidentally spill some gilder's size onto a Tele body earlier today, as you do, and as it would have been a bit of a waste, managed to also accidentally drop some variegated gold leaf onto it.

A couple of kinds, sadly.

Step 2: Splash the copper paint around, and 'Feather' to taste
After that had dried, been tidied and 'burnished' as we pocket gilders call rubbing vigorously with a damp sponge and a rusty hammer, I also managed to spill some copper paint which oddly corroded almost immediately and well, looked quite interesting. Three or four times I accidentally did that before it looked right.

Happenstance, you can't legislate for it...

Not sure what to do with it, mind you, though I guess it would be a shame to waste it really, and I have got a nice Rosewood boarded Tele neck that would look lovely with it. Or even the nice maple/maple one, that could work.









I have also been thinking that it might be nice to try Jess's authentically Fifties like tele pickups, and this may well be a fortuitous place to do just that.

Co-incidentally, like.

But as I was saying, today is about finishing my lovely Old Burny One, and won't involve any lacquering or ordering of pickups or tuners or well, anything else to do with The Elmer One.





Step 3: Corrode the copper

3 comments:

Chris Gorman said...

Looks like lichen!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Man, I should get you to do my marketing Chris, lichen and seagulls, good name for an agency that... ;)

Chris Gorman said...

"Jooky Guitar Emporium - if it is said to be lucky to be crapped on by a bird, check out our new Lucky Pigeon range of custom finishes"

"did you leave your bike out in the rain as a child? Then you'll just love the new Wet 'n' Flaky custom veneer"

"if you've ever looked at a slice of elderly bread and thought, that would look really good as an alder Strat: you're in the right place. Welcome to Jooky Guitar Emporium."