Friday 28 October 2011

WIP: The Elmer One

Well, all done bar the soldering, and I've given up on the post office and ebay and will go get an iron later today from a proper shop, if such things still exist.

I am rather pleased to have pretty much 'got there' with the rather groovy The Elmer One and it would be a shame not to finish it today.

From the top - it is a Tele, but with a twist or two..

1. Mahogany Body with a discreet comfort curve around the back.
2. Maple/Maple neck
3. Wilkinson 'Kluson' Tuners
4. Bare Knuckle 'The Boss Pickups' - both neck and bridge, unusually for me.
5. Modern six-saddle bridge.

And there we are. I wanted to do a Modern Tele, then dithered, but in the end went back to the start, and I think it was the right way to go.

As for the finish - oh me, oh my.

Well, I built this up and the recipe was basically, some variegated Gold Leaf, on top of which I've feathered some active copper paint to give a 3D effect, and just to put the sugar on top of the cherry, this has been hit with a House Brew of acids and other bobbins, to corrode the copper and give an amazing cloudy blue/green haze. This is repeated in a more refined manner on the headstock, to match, with everything getting a lacquer for long-termability.

As for the scratchplate, this I wanted to contrast, and so have smothered it with an active iron paint, which  has been made to rust quite nicely, bless.

And there we are. Hopefully, a soldering iron and an hours peace later today will get this baby finished.

Now that feels better







3 comments:

David Farmer said...

I swear, if I hadn't already found my Lulu...

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Ah, but wouldn't they look good together...?

Though I admit it would take six months to reach you, arrive as a pile of smouldering twigs...

Chris Gorman said...

No chance - Dave's girlfriend Karen is a considerate lady: not a sadistic wee bugger like mine.