Tuesday 11 October 2011

Introducing: The Drip Dry One

Well, it's funny that some guitars seem to take forever and feel unlikely to ever be finished, but then you reach a moment - god, I nearly said 'tipping point' sober - when, it just all comes together and you wonder what all the fuss was about.

This is a case in such a pointedness.

So, I'd like to introduce you to the latest produce of the Jooky meadows, The Drip Dry One.

She's a girl, bless her.

For the record, it is a mahogany bodied, maple/rosewood necked Strat, complete with:

1. Wilkinson 'Split Kluson' tuners

I've always loved these on Jazzmasters, and have kinda gone back to them after dalliances elsewhere. I just like them and they work nice like. So there we are.

2. Wilkinson Trem/Bridge with a super-sustaining steel block

I've used these before and they really do make a noticeable difference to the sustain and zinginess of the tone.







3. An Irongear Alchemist 90 humbucker sized P90 at the neck.

A Jooky fave, and I've lost track how often I've used them, but that is because they are always bang on the money.

4. A genuine 1970s DiMarzio Super Distortion at the bridge

This came out of an old Les Paul, and is of course what started all of this replacement pickup bobbins that distracts me no-end. Lovely in a Strat, better in a mahogany bodied one. It's Rock 'n' Roll baby.

5. I know it is silly, but I'm a sucker for a ghost story, so I've use a Mojotone Vitamin T or K, I forget which, capacitor. Big silver thing it is too, looks great. Anyway, it has Mojotone apparently, and lets face it, that will make all the difference to the sound of the guitar if nothing else doesn't.

6. A rather spectacularly rusted iron dripping scratchplate, which Banksy-like has dribbled gloopily onto the rather pretty body.

I've wanted to do this for a while, and had thought of doing it over a fabricified body, but the loveliness of the wood here made it an obvious choice.

This really is a rather beautifully 'marked' guitar, and in terms of sound it is red-hot. The P90 is just sexual, whilst the DiMarzio is hot and heavy. With the mahogany body and steel block, this sustains like a Les Paul.

In fact I've unwittingly gone back to do another Les Paul BFG wannabee. Maybe I should put a kill switch on too, though I've done independent volume pots and a master tone, so you can do the killswitch thing anyway.

So there we are. Hot 'n' Heavy, a bit like me

La la laaaa








No comments: