Tuesday 25 October 2011

No More Wussiness - Part 73.xii.W

Well, here we go again. I'm still awaiting a soldering iron - why do I keep relying on ebay??? - so The Old Burny One can't be meaningfully touched, and everything else is limbo-ified unless the postie delivers. Sounds like another blow-out of a Jooky day.

On the plus side, it means I'm going to stop being a wuss and get my head around The Floored Genius One.

For those of you have given up hope of keeping track of my guitar projects, this is a parquet flooring covered Telecaster body that I picked-up a while ago.

I already have a nice neck for it, and a lovely Catswhisker handwound bridge pickup which is a tad warmer than traditional - overwound, that's the word I was trying to remember - so it should be a bit of a noisy one.

It is destined to have a blank scratchplate, being a single pickup type of thing, but the wiring will be simplistic, volume and tone knobs and that be it. I'm going for locking tuners on this along with a more modern six saddle bridge and that is about the tale to be tolden.

So what is the problem?

Well, firstly the neck pocket has been cut too small, and as there isn't a lot of wood to play with I think I'm going to be reducing the neck width by a couple or three mm rather than widening the socket. Not the end of the world but a pain, in truth.

Other than that, it hasn't been drilled for the neck bolts, the pots, the bridge or for the general wiring. This I have to do, but it leaves me a bit cold and to be honest I've bottled it so far as, well, I'm a wuss.

Plus my handraulic drill is cool, but I can't find any of the drill bits.

Which is my self-face-saving excuse, of course.

All of which doesn't seem a lot on paper or screen, but has built itself mountainous in my little mind, and I bottle it. Simple as that

But not today. For today I drill and be damned and there we are.

I still haven't got a clue what parquet covering will do to the guitars tone, and to be honest I'm clueless as to what the wood under the floorboards is anyway, but you have to take chances sometimes, don't you?

No comments: