Friday 7 October 2011

Drip Dribbling Away

Well, I had such plans, such guitar finalising plans...and then we're back into sick-kid-weekend mode, and soldering goes out of the window.

You see, I think I sussed the problem with The Old Burny One after getting out the multimeter and it seems one of the pots is dead, no doubt due to a bit of over-enthusiastic soldering on my part. I had a spare or twelve, so that was fine, but now...looks like Monday again.

I did however get the missing bridge for The Drip Dry One from the clutches of the local Posty, so between cold poultices and sugary tea, Calpol and the mopping of fevered brows I'm aiming to at least get that somewhere close to finished today. Given the odd few stolen moments. Or over the weekend at least.

I have taken so long on this one, that I'd forgotten how beautiful the mahogany body is. but looking at it now, it proper shimmers. The rust looks amazing too, I'm really rather chuffed and glad that I showed more than my usual levels of restraint. It happens rarely enough, let's face it.

As I said, I've gone for a Wilkinson bridge/trem with a solid steel block as they give the guitars zingy sustain a bit of a leg up. Pickupwise it is an old favourite an IronGear Alchemist 90 - P90 - at the neck, and a genuine '70s DiMarzio Super Distortion at the bridge. I've actually used a bridge P90 at the neck to even things up a bit.

Other than that it is a nice big-of-headstock Strat neck, rosewood 'board, Kluson tuners and a lot of attitude.

Like I said the other day, I think this will be my last Strat for a while, and it is going to be quite the rocker, so it is.

But I'm babbling..time to put the chukkie soup on the hob.

No comments: