Monday 26 July 2010

I never thought I'd be lusting after wooden knobs

I know, best planned lays and all that, but I never got around to sorting out The Funky One in the end, and so it will have to be this week.

I was a bit gutted as it happens, as somehow the wiring I'd done has all become disconocorated - a helpful three-year-old is the prime suspect - and trying to work out what went where looked a bit depressing for a weekend's entertainment, not least because my well thought out notes and diagrams seem to have disappeared too..

I will do it soon though, as I need to get on and the parts will probably end-up strewn across the neighborhood’s gardens if I don't.

Getting away from Jookydom for a moment, and unlikely though it sounds, I am thinking about buying a guitar, as my head has been turned by a stripped down, bare of any kind of finish, Gibson Les Paul BFG.

Not sure what the BFG stands for, I have to say, but there we go.

They don't make them anymore, I don't think, but they are basically unfinished and have a P90 at the neck with a Burstbucker at the bridge. Which sounds a tad mayhem-like, but there we are.

I haven't played one yet mind you, but as long as they are what I think they are - tortured chaos incarnate - I'm guessing all will be well if I do get to grips with one. I'll find a foto to post here, but I quite like all the colours which I guess will be handy as there don't seem to be many around, apart from the rather too-mucho-moolah-expensive Gary Moore signature one, but there we are.

While I inhabit Fantasy Island, I also quite fancy a new amp, and the Vox Night Train is appealing. Only 15 watts, which when I used to play in a band would have got me laughed at, but these days seems to be acceptable.

I don't know why that is - do drummers play quieter or are speakers better?

I used to use a 150watt Peavey thing back in the sepia days and still couldn't hear what I was playing.

Actually, I still can't hear that much of what I'm playing, and that is no doubt still down to the same drummer-chap.

Kevin, you owe me a couple of eardrums sunshine.

Ah, whatever...

No comments: