Sunday 13 June 2010

They are made of wood. Shock.


One thing that has surprised me so far about the Leona's guitars is that nobody has asked about the 'provenence' of the guitars or parts I've built them from. Now as it happens, that is good. Not because I'm worried about them being bits of junk I've picked-up - apart from the Glistery One, that is - but more because they have been pretty decent guitars to start with. That may sound odd to say.

The reason I don't advertise where they have come from is basically because the last thing I want people to think is that I sell a 'Fender with a fancy finish', if that makes sense. I wouldn't want the buyer to buy the guitar because of it's roots with all the pre-conceived ideas of quality that engenders, as it were, instead I want people to love them for what they have become...

La la la. I am sooo very up meself.

It doesn't mean though that I don't think about it. I could quite easily pick up a cheapo, rubbish plywood Strat copy, for instance, and give it a quick cover of something flashy and then flog it on for ten times the original ticket. It would be a well shonky guitar, but heh who cares if it looks OK, right?

There is no fun in that, of course, so instead i try and find decent guitars and then see how I can Jookify them. The Groovy one, for instance, was a Squier neck and body - the proper ones not the Affinity series, and then all the bolt-on-bits were whatever I laid my hands on - but again, not the cheapo bobbins I could find for pennies. Second-hand maybe, but good old 'uns.

Did it seem daft sanding off the Squier logo?
Probably, but there we are.

Tis art sugar and nobody said it had to make any sense.

No comments: