Saturday 19 June 2010

Carving In The UK

Obviously there are a lot of luthiers in the UK, and all of them are doing something quite different to me. Like woodwork or something. Few though seem to go beyond the standard forms and stretch themselves, which is a shame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that they want to be totally original, but people don't often buy originality and it is a far safer bet to spend a grand on a Fender, PRS or Gibson than on a handmade one-off, as the re-sale value for most mass-produced-mainstream guitars is always pretty steady.

Bucking this trend though are The Creamery and Wes Venables, whose guitars all hit the right notes as far as I'm concerned. I'd love one of each - if I had the dosh - and so I have to press my nose up against their webby windows instead.

(Hope they don't mind my nicking their photos for this post - if so give me a shout and I'll take them down).

Vendetta 'Smaug' - Wes Venebles

It is cool though that we have people willing to do things a wee bit different. Gordon Smith guitars are fine, but there is so much more out there if you want to try something British.

No comments: