Thursday 8 September 2011

Something Genius, Something Holy

The Floored Genius One
Well, so much for soldering yesterday - I started, then got distracted and then, well, that was that really. I was having a bit of a clear out in truth and got rid of a hard case, some pedals and other bobbins-n-bits.

However, as I type this I am waiting for the iron to once more warm up, and then shall be in full-on burning finger mode, it is going to be good.

I am absolutely loving the look of The Old Burny one, and it is giving me a bit of a dilemma. On one side I have The Golden Shower One, and on the other this. And I can't for the life of me decide which one to keep. The Old Burny One  will no doubt be the much better guitar (and saying that is like admitting you prefer one of your kids), but I do so love a Golden Shower.

Decisions...still, no real rush.

One thing I forgot the other day, when I was saying I had nowt else lined-up, was of course The Floored Genius One. This is another Tele, but is one with a twist, the top is, or looks like, parquet flooring. Which I have to say stands out from the crowd somewhat. I've been thinking about what to do with it for ages, but in the end have gone for an oiled finish as I'm not sure that fabric, leaf or gloopy metal paints will really improve on the fact that well, it is made from somebody's floor. You can't really get much more Jooky than that, lets face it.

Anyway, I had got myself organised to sort out a neck - a nice rosewood boarded maple jobbie, and I'm going to break a habit of a lifetime and put two Tele pickups in it once I sort some out. For now though I've just been giving it a going over with some Danish Oil and will probably do a few more coats and then wax finish it. Unless I change my mind and decide to fill the groove with something, err, groovy.

Thinking about it, it might be a good one to try one of The Creamery's Tele Bridge shaped P90s in, maybe with a nice neck pickup. It's sounding good already.

Hmm, just noticed I need to do some hole-making, that slows me down normally. Ah well, one more for the Coming Soon list then, The Floored Genius One...La la & a laaa

***



While writing this, I just received a rather lovely Electro Harmonix Holy Stain pedal from a chap in a van. I must admit I've never got on with Multi-fx, all those patches and memory slots to remember, far too much hassle and confusion. But this one does a lot less and has proper knobs and footswitches. It only has a couple of reverbs, a tremolo, some sort of phasey chorus modulation thing and some fuzz, but then I'm quite a simple kinda guy, so it looks great. The soldering might become tomorrow now...

.

3 comments:

Chris Gorman said...

The Floored Genius looks the business. On discussion with my (mostly disinterested in guitars) girlfriend about how could you possibly make it look even stranger, she suggested footprints, or paw prints. Like a muddy dog walking all over your good guitar. I thought this was dangerously close to the sort of odd stuff you like, and thought I'd pass it on in case!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Cheers Chris...I have to say, that is a thought.... My missus (who has a similar level of interest) tells me that the Grecian 201 One looks like it has been attacked by pigeons, so...

Chris Gorman said...

Haha! She said *exactly* the same thing when she saw the Grecian!

Chris: (gleefully) isn't it crazy looking?

Tasha: (smirks) mmmmm. Looks like a church roof covered in pigeon poo.

Chris: I know! Isn't it great?!

Tasha: (rolls eyes and snorts)

Well! I don't know anything about handbags, but she still asks my opinion....