Monday 24 January 2011

This week in Jookyland...

Well, I've been having a think about my Gibson Tribute, and I've pretty much got a plan now. First up, I've got an old '70s Satellite Les Paul copy I picked-up a while back for £40. First thing I did was flog the humbuckers for £20, so basically in terms of the challenge, it owes me £20.

On top of that, I've got two PRS Soapbars I picked up for £20, some PRS tuners (the Satellite ones are scrap) I got for a tenner. So all in all, I figure I can make the guitar usable for £50 all in.

In terms of the finish, I'm going for the gold top - initially, after a bit of good advice - I'm going to spray using some gold poly. I've got the end of a can somewhere in the garage, so that is pennies. After that I'm going to get some 24K Gold Leaf and finish the top with it, before giving it a Nitro 'thin skin' finish. Never used this gold leaf before, so it could be fun. How much gold leaf is, I don't know, but I'll go hunting tomorrow and see what I can dig up. Hopefully though, the finish could be about a tenner all in.

All of which means I should hopefully have £30-40 left to buy some sort of multi-fx that I can gut and include in the body somewhere. It will have to be small, though I'm really tempted to go for the klunky angle and have it 'integrated' externally, so that all the wiring is outside of the guitar and maybe the effect unit is kind of surface mounted. Depends on how big it is, I guess...

Saying that, I fancy a trapeze kind of tailpiece so I might have to jiggle my change in my pocket a bit somewhere down the line. Hmmm..

This week though, I'm going to get my finger out and finish something, and as I have a deep, mostly submerged, need to play a guitar with red dicey knobs, it is The Daisy Jook One that is destined to get my full attention.... I'm going to twang-that-thang in a big way.

A yeee and a hawww.

Amen sister.

No comments: