Saturday 15 January 2011

Exploring My Evil Side

I said a while back that I wanted to do a 'shape' guitar, and that I'd picked up a lovely mahogany Explorer-esque type of thing to fulfill such desires.

Anyway, with the Daisy Jook and Twangy Ones still hanging around and drying, I thought I'd make a start on what will become The Evil Bed One.

As I haven't done it for a while, here are some WIP fotos - firstly I take it to bits, and then I start to put the slightly mad skull and roses fabric on it. This shows the back, but I'm going with the same design all over, although I might use a different scratchplate, not sure yet.



The pickups are a pair I got out of a PRS Tremonti, which should fulfill my rock chick needs (?? might have that wrong somewhat) and there may be a wrinkle or two I'll include somewhere down the line.

The foto over to the left of me, shows the fabric having being applied to the back of the guitar and covered with a grain filler - to turn the cloth 'plastic' and generally make it harder wearing and less likely to get damaged.

There will be a couple more coats of that, then I'll repeat the whole exercise on the sides and on the front of the guitar and voila. It will look like a guitar covered in skull and roses cloth (designed by somebody famous who I forget).

Once that is done, there will be a few coats of lacquer poly then nitro, sanding a bit of a polish, and then the rest of the guitar will be put together. New wiring and pickups, different bridge as it was a bit tinny for my liking, and of course the neck will get the 'jooky-not-yet-patented treatment' as a finishing touch. Not quite sure what will happen to the scratchplate yet, hmmm, wonder if I have a big enough piece of copper. Or maybe plain black would be good, dunno.

All in all, should be fun.

I've always fancied an Explorer, but as I tend to sit down to play kinda discounted them, but they are easie-peasie to balance on your leg. Well comfortable...

Tis all good...

No comments: