Tuesday 12 November 2013

SG Horror Show - The Highs and the Lows

Well, apart from Sky buggering up our internet, it has been a week of highs and oh-so-lows...

First up is my old '89 Epiphone SG. It is nothing special, bolt-on neck, shonky quiet pickups, dodgy tuners, though exactly the same as my first 'proper guitar, and well, I am putting the mental in the sentimental, and I rather love it so. The neck is deevine.

Anyway, I've decided I want to keep it 'stock', although maybe have a few tweaks under the hood, so the plan is to replace the tuners with something similar looking - Grovers no doubt - and maybe put new pickups in but retain the horribly plastic covers. Wiring too will no doubt benefit from some Mojo, and a proper nut will certainly help. Maybe a bridge too.

I know, not a lot left, but it will look the same and that is the main thing.

So obviously, the first thing I have actually done is put a Bigsby on it. Or rather a cheapo ebay copy of one, and amazingly it is really good. I didn't know what to expect, but it works perfectly, is actually easier to string as the thingies hold the string on and best of all it didn't cost more than the guitar (which it would have if I'd gone for the real deal.)

So that was the cool thing.

As for the horrendously not-so-good, a friend of mine sent me his rather delightful old Burny SG Jr to try, and it arrived with 3 tonnes of bubble wrap, hardcase, packed beyond excellent, and looked gorgeous as I got it out of the case. Absolutely stunning. So imagine-my-horror when I noticed that the neck had gotten broken in that old-familiar-way. I don't know how they managed it, but they did quite a job on the guitar overall. Which is a total gutter and I feel rather horrendous about it.


The irony of course is that when the Epi arrived it was wrapped only in a black bag with nair a mark on it.

The highs and lows. Shonky innit?

La la laaaa







No comments: