Friday 17 January 2014

Whip Crack Away

Well, while I've been a-plotting-and-a-planning, one of the things I thought I'd do was make myself a la Cabronita. Oh, I know they are tuppence a pound, now that Fender/Squier have finally recognised they'd Dun Good, but it really doesn't matter as I prefer my own.

From the top, I snagged a rather nice walnut body, routed for a single TV Jones sized pickup, which OK doesn't give you as many options, but I think look better. Call me King Shallow, but it matters. I'm going for something pretty and cool in the finish dept. too, which is nice.

As for the all important pickup, I've (surprisingly, for the regular reader with a poor memory) ordered something special from Marc at Mojo Pickups, along with the loomy wire thing to go with it. This is going to be hot, as I need the extra oomph for what I am planning...

As for the rest, I'm going for a hard tail of some sort, which I clearly haven't decided yet, tuners are going to be Sperzels and Strap Pins and knobs, well two of each, don't need to say any more than that.

All of which doesn't quite nail the 'Something Different' angle, but I think the fact that the neck is a beautiful maple with an ebony fretboard will help, and the fact that it is fretless definitely does.

I did once make a fretless guitar, quite a while ago, which I think International Jet Set Rock Star Mr Chris Gorman still has, and that was crazy fun and rather weird to play, and I've always been keen to do another, and so well, here it will be. (The fret positions on this one have been scored into the 'board, which I think will help somewhat, I have to admit.)

So that will be The Whipped One, whenever it is I get around to it.

La la laaaa



2 comments:

Chris Gorman said...

I do indeed still have the Iceblink One in the studio for the curious and demented to have a look at and a play with - I was flogging some other equipment this very week, and when the prospective buyers came in, they noticed it and immediately asked if it was for sale too! Hahaha! Sorry, guys! She's mine!

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Cool that you still have it Chris, that was definitely a niche inside a hollow canyon of nichiness. Definitely fun though. I liked it best when it sounded like a Clanger :)