Friday 31 January 2014

Learning Curved

Well, I have strings on The Whipped One, not the proper strings as I fear I may get thru a few sets before the set-up is pukka right,  but strings there are.

And first thing I must say, is the overwound Uber nutski Mojotron (for want of a better name) nearly took my head off. Man it is loud.

Still, that was clanging it with a tuning fork, with the strings it is more of a normal level, which is pretty cool.

And I had  forgotten how much a bit of power helps with these fretless guitars - who'd have known, eh?

Sustain is distinctly lacking of course, and thankfully the  recently arrived Line 6 amp #1 bratski loves. has a variety of high gain settings so I haven't had to wind my AC15 up to 11, which thhe neighbours no doubt approve of..

And playing this is a total voyage of intrigue and discoveryness.. I actually got vaguely competent with The Iceblink One, but that is long forgotten, and I've found treating it as though you are playing slide works the best (you press over where the frets should be of course, instead of the more usual between them.)

The weird thing is that the action can be incredibly low. At the moment it is too high (mainly because I can't find my nut files), but even so we are talking a mm at most. Still, find them I will and I'll  get that down.

The neck  is gorgeous - Warmoth definitely know their onions. Funny colour, but lovely all the same.

Still to do, other than the set-up, are to fashion a pickguard out of something and a string bar thingy instead of the string tree as once the nut is down, deep down low, I remember needing one or the strings spend more time out of the groove than I do.

I have to say it is dead good fun to play, really pleased I did it ..

La la laaa

No comments: