Thursday 20 May 2010

You Just Can't Explain Art, Sugar

I had an email earlier on from a chap called Colin - this really is tunring into Points of View, which makes me Barry Took, sheesh - asking why I said that the Glistery One summed-up what Jooky is all about, and that it wouldn't be for sale because of that.

Which was a fair question, and I figured I should explain.

I've said before that the idea behind all of this is to have fun making some guitars, amps or pedals from other bits of stuff that other people no longer want.

Sometimes I have to stretch this, if I am ever to finish a guitar for instance, but generally I do try my best to keep the bits coming from either people giving them away, or stuff I can pick-up second hand.

Anyway, in the case of all of the guitars so far, I've had to compromise a wee bit and buy a few bits new. That's OK, second hand wire and things is perhaps not a good plan anyway, and if I decide to flog something I've made, I want it to stack up. I say to everybody that I'll fix any problems, so it would be daft not to.

As for the Glistery One, well that is entirely made of second hand bobbins. The body and neck came from Freecycle, the bridge and tuners were thrown in with something I bought somewhere, the gold paint was left over from something else, the glitter I nicked from my kids' craft box and the pickups were in a body I picked up somewhere else. So basically, other than the strings and the solder, everything else is 'donor', and all the cooler for that.

Why not sell it then? Well, basically, the body and neck and especially the fingerboard aren't exactly top notch. I don't even know what they were from originally, and this hasn't been the case with the other guitars. It is heavy, but not a single piece of mahogany. The fretboard is covered with glitter and paint, which believe me doesn't make it amazingly playable,but is an improvement on the original.



So basically, I'm chuffed to have made something from nothing, but I wouldn't feel right selling it, as it isn't good enough to be sold, I don't think.

I wouldn't want that guitar to be the first 'Jooky' guitar you see in the wood, and that is as simple as it gets.

It sounds crazy mind you, just maybe it is more on the art side of things than in the realm of the 'player'.

I'll put more about it soon anyway, and I don't know if you really want it, maybe I'll swap you something instead...

I am a corporate whore, after all.

No comments: