Monday 17 May 2010

Why does life get more surreal?

It's odd, how things happen. As I mentioned the other day, our little Pretty In Pimp One was getting a bit of a pelting over at the Telecaster Fan Club Forums, and I thought it would be fun to pop in there and say hello.

Why do this when rising-above-it-all, would be the obvious and corporate thing to do?

Well, for one all this Jooky stuff isn't about such things, and so I said hello.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't go in all guns ablaze, and I didn't see it as a way of convincing the purists that they were wrong and my way was the right way.

Each to their own, something I seem to say a lot recently, and there we are.

As it happened, it worked out pretty nicely. People asked questions, I answered them and even if they still prefer their Tele's au natrel, I think - hope - that maybe a couple of them could see where I was coming from. It doesn't really matter, but there we are. I certainly didn't expect anybody to buy the guitar...

Anyway, without diving into the Telegraph letters page, imagine my surprise when the admin of the forum informed me that I had broken all of their rules as they don't allow trading on their site. Fair enough, but I did point out that this emporium doesn't actually sell a lot and, well, whatever.

So basically it is OK to talk about me having a screw loose and everything else, but if I answer I'm a salesman.

Heh ho.

What is nice though, is that I got to see what some of the forums members have been upto, and one chap in particular is making some paisley teles, which look likely to be beautiful. I hope he finishes them.

It did set me thinking though, and that is another difference. See, beautiful though his work is, it will only ever be his version of the Fender original. It might be a better guitar, and it may have a nicer finish, but it will be a homage to another guitar. And if he put a Fender decal on the headstock, well, it would look like the real deal.

But still wouldn't be.

The difference of course, is that the Jooky ones aren't meant to be like that - and this isn't an exercise in self-deluded- justification - they are meant to be something vaguely original.

And we all know where that leads, don't we?

No comments: