Thursday 10 February 2011

More of a Golden Drizzle So Far

Well, I've not done much else - like find the parts so that I can finish the Daisy Jook One, for instance, but I have moved the Golden Shower One in the right direction.

As you can see in the fotos, the gold foil on the body has been finished - initially this was a tidy-up exercise, fill a few gaps, remove some extraneous bobbins that were floating around, generally pukka it up.

Next there was a lot of 'burnishing' which again helped a lot and brought out a really deep 'lustre', as it were.

After that, of course, I added a bit of wear to it all, just so it looked suitably old and well used. The rest of the guitar does, so it would have looked silly if I hadn't.

Yesterday saw many, many, many, many, many and a few more coats of lacquer being applied, as lets face it 22 carat gold isn't the strongest, and it would be nice to protect it a wee bit.

For the first time I also used a drying technique that I had had recommended that worked wonderfully. (A heater in the freezing cold garage where I had done me spraying, like).

Anyway, in this case I've gone pure poly for the lacquer which means that by late last night, it was dry and solid and looking - imho - amazing. 24 hours later it is perfect and doesn't even smell too bad now.

And I don't kid myself much, but this really does look fantastic. Nowhere near as tacky as I imagined, just really classy and deep and very old.

I'm in love (so be ready for more of such things popping up at a later date.)

As you can see, being a bit excitably challenged I tramped on and fitted the tailpiece and bridge and for the benefit of the fotos, plonked on the switch, neck pickup and knobs.

Can you see what it is yet?

The neck pickup I can't wait to hear - it is a Kent Armstrong humbie sized P90 - with a creamy plastic cap, so with the surround it is probably as close to a soapbar as I'm going to get.

For the bridge pickup - I'm still waiting on that. It will either be a Seymour Duncan JB, which I think will give me the whole Les Paul BFG kind of thing, or maybe a Dimarzio Super Distortion or PAF Pro - all depending on how I want this thing to sound in the end. All three have their pluses and downsides, but as I paid different chunks of change for each of them, and this is a challenge, of course, it might come down to the budget. We'll have to see.

Anyway...

No comments: