Friday 4 February 2011

Getting Golden

Well, I know that I tend to spend my days covering guitars in beautiful fabrics and generally getting all poncy and arty about the whole thing, and if I'm honest I've never really got into spraying guitars, as well basically *everybody* does that, don't they? Boring, boring and lacking individuality.

However, I did in fact spray a guitar with paint today, and I am rather pleased with the results, even after a couple of coats.

As you can see with a wave or lots of my wrist, paint can in hand, I have indeed gone alchemist and turned my cherry sunburst Satellite Les Paul into a wondrous Gold Top. I don't know why I didn't think of doing such things before.




Anyway, if you look close you'll notice a lack of P90 routings. This isn't because I forgot (totally). Rather, my router buggered up, and so I was going to use a chisel or two, but looking at the guitar closely, my eagle eye noticed that the maple (?) top was quite thin and in fact not actually connected to the body as a whole - kinda bent over the top rather than carved to shape.

It sounds great, so I'm not worried, but I thought hitting it with a hammer might be pushing my luck somewhat.

Sooo...pickups-wise, I'm going to try and find a nice humbucker-sized P90 for the neck and a humbucker-sized, err, humbucker for the bridge. Normally, it wouldn't be a problem, but as the challenge is limited to £100 for parts, I need to work out where I stand. Hmmm.

The on board electronic multi-fx is looking unlikely now, I have to admit.

Still, when the paint dries good and hard I'll be having a go at gold-leafing it...that no doubt will be where my troubles really begin.

No comments: