Wednesday 2 February 2011

Getting Challenging

So, it's February is it? Time to get on with ye olde Golden Shower One, I guess.

Good job that I've pretty much got all the bitsunbobs then.

The 24Karat gold showed up today along with all sorts of sticky and lacquering kinds of gubbins. That should be fun, but there are a few things to sort out first.

Today's job was to take the 'donor' guitar to pieces. Off with the neck, bridge, tailpiece, shonky tuners. Out with the pickups and wiring loom, jack, pots - well everything really. Won't be using much of it anyway to be fair.

So I'm left with a pile of stuff...cool.

First real job tomorrow is to sand the top of the body to get rid of the laquer so that I can spray it gold, after a judicious bit of masking of the sides.

Why bother?

Well, I want a gold top but I like the distressed look of the rest of the body and the general '70s-ness of it all.

The guitar as it stands is really resonant, which is nice and a bit of a surprise as I was expecting it to be balsa wood, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Oh, I almost forgot, after the sanding but before I do the spraying, I've got to widen the pickup holes to fit some P90 soapbars in. Mustn't forget that bit, they look horrible when you fold them...

As for the spraying it gold - this was a tip I got from the nice Mr Venables, presumably so it doesn't look so obvious when I miss a bit with the gold leaf, or maybe it enhances the effect. I'm not sure, and to be honest didn't ask.

So day one - this is what we are starting with...

No comments: