Saturday 16 October 2010

Jookadelic Baby

OK, enough belly-button-spotting, time to get back into Jookyland proper like.
First things first, is the Funky One. If you remember this is a lovely '72 Tele-esque guitar, with a rather crazy and yes, funk-filled, paisley finish to it. I love the Seventies Teles, all monster scratchplates and double humbuckers, and this one is a lovely player, I'm pleased to say.

Anyway, I have a decision to make about the thing, and it is my usual dilemma of pickups, as basically I've got some interesting ones to choose from.

First up are the Wilkinson PAF-like pickups that came with the guitar. I must admit, despite the rather excellent Vintage (tm) guitars, I'd kind of assumed that these would be a straight pull-out-and-chuck-away thing.

I know, me of all people being snobby, can you imagine?

Anyway, that changed in the nano second it took me to play my full six string repertoire, as they sounded amazingly good. Couldn't quite believe it, and I'm really tempted to keep them. But as ever, I have some other pickups to hand and so there is a...

Second option, which was really what I thought I'd do in the first place. These are an odd couple. At the neck would be a Di Marzio pickup who's name escapes me, but that was taken out of a Fender HM Tele. This has an amazing, tone to it and is quite unlike yer bog standard humbie. I really like the pickup, but not enough to remember its name. With this then, I was planning on slapping an IronGear Hot Slag into the bridge. Again, a bit of a monster of a pickup, but one that cleans up amazingly nicely - you could almost take it home to meet your mother, if not mine.

Third option, and a bit of a wild card, is a pair of Tokai PAF-esque pickups that came out of a Japanese Les Paul. Are these called 'Love Rocks', or am I getting muddled-up about that? Whatever they are called, these are a bit more traditional sounding and I think they would be lovely like a lovely thing in the Funky One.

So what to do? Stick with the Wilko, go heavy with the Slag or take a punt on something from the orient?

I don't know.

The wiring too, I'm dilemma-angsted about. I had originally wired it a la Les Paul with two volume, two tones and a switch (like a '72 Tele, surprisingly), but I'm coming to the conclusion that (apart from if I use the Di Marzio and Hot Slag where the extra controls might come in handy) it might be nicer to go more simplistic, with one tone and a single volume.

Again though, what to do.

Still, I have time to decide, how hard can it be...?

1 comment:

Fat Old Man said...

hello again
personally I'd go with option 2 because it sounds the most different - I have other guitars that sound tradional humbuckery

FOM