Tuesday 26 October 2010

Back On Track, All Over Again

Well, things are getting back to busy in Jookyland once more. I'm putting the finishing touches to the Funky One - more on that soon, and my first Custom job, The OCD One is coming along too.

On top of that, I've decided to have a go at another Tele after picking up a beautiful hand made pine body from a chap, and a lovely neck off the bay. I must admit I've always been intrigued by the idea of pine bodies, since I read that some of the original Teles were made of pine, and more recently I (think) that the Fender Baja Telecasters have gone that route again. Actually I just checked on the Fender site and they are Alder, but there we are. They do make Custom Shop ones though, so there. More to the point, what I'm planning to do with this one is something a bit swish.

First off, it will have a rather cool finish - no surprise there, I guess - but I want something that looks a little along the lines of a single pickup esquire, with no pickup at the neck.

Saying that, I'm really tempted to have a hidden humbucker or overwound P90 under the traditionally blank pickguard, so  that the options are there, but without it looking like it.

This has it's own problems, I guess, as the magnets will be further from the strings and covered by a layer of plastic, but I'm hoping that a higher powered pickup should overcome this. I'll give it a wee go... Other than that, I could maybe put a boost circuit in or something...

Anyway, no doubt you'll hear more about that soon...la la la.

Feels like we're back on track

***

Speaking of the OCD One, if you've been following my escapade into Customness, I'm pleased to say that it is coming together quite very nicely, and more to the point it has been a real pleasure working with Geoff, not least because he makes decisions a lot quicker than I do.

As far as the future goes, I am actually quite keen to try it again, so if you have always fancied one of our guitars, but never quite seen what you want, give me a shout, and who knows...we could make beautiful musical instruments together.

I am sooo very cheap, you wouldn't believe it. Laaa.

3 comments:

Dickinstein said...

emailed

thecurefan said...

Its been easy making the decisions really for the OCD One as I've pretty much known what I wanted. It was just a matter of Erik coming up with a couple of suggestions for pickups, bridge, body etc to suit budget and me saying yay or nay. The only difficult decision really was the fabric and even that wasn't too bad..... wont say too much other than it should look amazing.

The second pickguard is an added bonus which game about as we couldn't decide whether to go matching or contrasting covering. so we opted for one of each that could be fairly easily (or not with my soldering skills) swapped.

This has really been a pleasurable experience, and as said, if anyone has fancied one of these then get in touch. You wont be disappointed.

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Thanks thecurefan. It has been quite nice talking thru all the design aspects - I'm turning into less of a control freak and nicer person all around ;)