Thursday 21 October 2010

Incoming.....

It is probably stating the obvious, but I don't tend to plan too much, as far as all this Jooky bobbins goes. I have plenty of ideas and stuff, and I probably talk about them before I've thought them through, but generally I make it up as I go along. It's cooler like that.

The fact that a lot of what is made comes down to the parts and things that I happen to come across helps, of course, but there we are, I wouldn't want to get too hung up on stuff and I do have quite an addiction to chaos, randomness in-excelsis.



All of which is why I'm rather excited about a guitar that I've picked-up from t'bay, which is all very off the wall. As you know, I tend to get a bit from here, a couple of parts more from over there somewhere and then hustle for the rest before I 'create' dah-lin'. This time though, the guitar is trashily perfect as it is and other than a few minor changes - I'm going to refinish it Jookily, and maybe put new tuners on as they are a touch to the left of ropey, and I think probably I will end-up rewiring it too - it will just be fun from the off.

What it is, is a bit of a mystery, but I'm told by somebody who appears to know more about vintage guitar bobbins than I would ever want to, that it was made in the early Seventies, probably by Teisco. It might be Argos for all I know, but my own eyes tell me that it is vaguely Strat like but as with a lot of guitars at the time (and I blame that Les Paul chappie) it has a bunch of knobs and switches which control a fine collection of effects such as distortions and even an Auto wah. (I lurrrvvveee an Auto wah). Couple of batteries slip in the back and away you go.

The body is thinner than a real Strat and as far as 'carves' go, there is only one which nestles my ample stomach quite nicely, and an excuse for one so that it doesn't chafe my batwings, but man does it sing. It has that lovely Danelectro kind of sound to it (the tin can bridge might have something to do with that) and in summary it is beautifully cheesy.

So all in all, as far as Jookiedom gets, this is a bit of a gift-from-the-dogs...and I'm looking forward to piecing this one together big-time. I'm thinking that I'll keep the black scratchplate for once, and Jookify the body with something nice. Maybe cowgirls or death-head-skulls would be fitting. Or maybe even Paisley, who can tell..

3 comments:

thecurefan said...

If it is from the 70's, how about covering it with something like this:-

http://www.trueup.net/the-daily-swatch/daily-swatch-60s-70s-psychedelia-week/

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Wow - now that I would love to do.... Bah - the ebay seller has disappeared.... That is gorgeous though, much like that...

thecurefan said...

you mentioned deaths head skulls. How about this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FQ-HEAD-TRIP-PSYCHEDELIC-COLOURED-SKULLS-FABRIC-/320532989158?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&hash=item4aa14144e6#ht_1230wt_1141