Tuesday 19 October 2010

Custom is as it does

Well, after much thought I've finally got a grip of Ye Olde Jooky Custom Programme. Though I'll obviously have to think of a better name. The idea is then that I'll now be making (or at least offering to make) Jooky guitars to anybody that wants one. They'll get choices on all the bits and bobs and then I'll create their monster for them. Which is all good stuff, and it means that I won't quite be surrounded by guitars that I have to try and sell before I can make the next one - and more to the point it should stop the emails saying 'I really like the Mellow One, but couldn't it have X, Y or Z'.

How does this fit with my aim to start making some original designs?
Well, I'm glad you asked.

Basically, they will just become options - you can have something traditional, which I'll source elsewhere, cloth or paper finishes a specialty of the house, naturally, or you’ll hopefully be able to pick one of the designs I've been working on.

So will this all cost people shed loads?
No, I don't think so. I still very much want to keep the old recycling ethic going, and like anything it depends on what you pick...

All I need now is to do a proof-of-concept, to see how it works in reality...


And guess what?

Yep. I'm pleased to say that I've got my first err, victim. A lovely chap from down south who is game enough to let me try and put a guitar together to his spec. And I have to say I'm really looking forward to it, as it is a bit more of a challenge in some ways, yet nice to have somebody to bounce ideas off. The guitars will still be complete one-offs, of course, and the whole ethos remains the same, but it makes things a bit more professional and basically gives me a sharp kick up the back and side, which is all good.

Anyway, the first of these babies is to be a Strat shape, CBS shaped headstock and a HSS pickup arrangement.. All maple neck and tapped coils, with a fine and uber cool finish.

Sounds like fun, and I'm already scouting for toys, as it were.

It's going to be called The OCD One, it is going to have a crazy goth-come-emo-esque finish, and I can't wait.

Ta-daaa

5 comments:

thecurefan said...

'The OCD One' from the victims point of view.

This all started when I enquired about a trade for the mellow one, but after reading a bit more about jooky guitars felt that maybe they weren't for me. I have this obsession with things needing to be neat and tidy and just so. Out of curiosity I asked if it would be possible to make a neat and tidy version and was told that in theory 'yes it was' and so we set about coming up with a design. I've always liked the strat shape, along with maple neck and CBS headstock but have never got on with the control layout so I've opted to have 1 tone and 1 volume where the 2 tone controls would normally be. Throughout we have talked about various aspects such as pickups, finish etc and what different variations are available. I wont go into too much detail as hopefully more will be revealed as the build progresses, but suffice to say the process so far has been really easy and needless to say I'm like a kid waiting for christmas.

PS the name came about by accident really when I responded to an e-mail and wrote with regards to the OCD one and it kinda stuck as it fitted in with my neatness obsession.

PPS Hopefully we've left some JOOKINESS in, such as indents where the 3rd control would have been, finish that should age and wear somewhat etc

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Thanks for that Geoff. It has to be said it has been a real pleasure so far, and I think the OCD One is going to be particularly stunning. I'm (literally) about to start sorting out the body...so fingers crossed...

p.s. There will always be some Jookiness in there, it is just the way it is...

Dickinstein said...

What other shapes can you do, in theory?

The Jooky Guitar Emporium said...

Hi 17fiftyseven..

At the moment, all of the Jooky guitars are built from whatever parts I happen to lay my hands on, but I'm hoping to be chopping my own bits of wood in the very near future as I have a couple of designs I'd like to try out - in terms of body shapes.

Basically then, in theory it will be just that, any bodies I can get or later on, the couple I've designed myself.

What I won't be doing is carving things to order, as it isn't really my cuppa, and lets face it there are loads of starving luthiers out there already that could do with the work...

If you want to have a chat about it just drop me an email at 'info (at) jooky (dot) co (dot) uk'. I'm not one of life's salesmen, and all is hassle-free..

cheers

thecurefan said...

Hi 17fiftyseven..

Erik is a great guy to deal with and very easy to talk and chat with about ideas. As he said drop a line you never know where it might lead..................Jooky goodness hopefully.

regards
Geoff