Friday 12 February 2010

Loving A Good Plan

Well, my Pink Heffalump is drying at the moment, but hopefully all will be revealed over the weekend. It looks good fun, so with a bit of the lucky stuff it will hit the spot.

Meanwhile, in Distraction City UK, I have been-a-plotting my next thingie, and basically planning how my £100 Challenge guitar will come together.

My basic idea is cunningly simple - I want something that is totally off the wall and slightly barking. I also don't want to do any woodwork or painting right now and so am going for another cloth finish, but something different this time, I feel.

The plan then - which will no doubt have changed twice before I reach the end of this post -

a.  Get a cheap Telecaster
b.  Strip all the parts off and sell them on eBay
c. Strip down the neck and stain it very dark before adding a glittery kind of finish.
d. Add gold coloured tuners - indeed all the parts will be gold coloured for total gaudiness
e. Make some kinds of holes in the body for resonance.
f. Cover the body in cloth - I'm thinking velvet or faux suede right now, not sure which.
g. Add some kind of fancy Gibson Semi type of tailpiece and bridge
h. Add a scratchplate from a Semi - I got one for a fiver off a nice chap on the MusicRadar forums this week.
i. Add a powerfilled P90 at the bridge
j. Make a Sustainer and put that at the neck.

And then I guess try and make everything work.

Now, I know, this all seems a touch on the ambitious side, especially as I haven't tried making a sustainer yet and will only have a month to put everything together, but there you go.

So the hunt for components begins. I have got the Tele and will flog the spare parts, hopefully to fund other bits 'n' bobbins.

I must admit, I might fit some rubbish here and there for the challenge and then replace it with better stuff later, just depends on whether I can sell the original bits, to be honest as I'm brassic...

La la la

No comments: