Tuesday 23 February 2010

Insight Into The Workings Of My Mind

So, here I am, getting this here tele build bobbins together.

I've sort of got a sustainer working - on a breadboard thing - which is amazing and I can't wait to start to build it properly and put it in a guitar. I mean, for me, this is truly gob-smacking, I've made something that first of all works, and secondly works properly, as far as I can tell anyway.

This is really cool.

Amazing in fact as I didn't copy it off anybody, I just read some posts on a forum about how the Fernandes one works and some people talking on a blog about ones they have made. There used to be tonnes of information about DIY sustainers, but apparently that got deleted due to inter-nicene warfare over who is cleverest or something. Which you have to say is a bit pathetic. If I get it working well I'll do some proper plans and stuff so anybody can have a go at it.

Anyway, I'm pleased, kinda proud and itching to do it for real.

And I've got a guitar to put together in March that is waiting for it.

It is perfect timing, for once in my life, and everything is coming together.

I'm so excited at the prospect that I've not even thought about a cool name for the sustainer - they all have to have one, of course.

So here I am and what am I thinking about?

What am I spending my time doing?

Yep, I can't make up my mind on whether the guitar should be covered in gold suede or green velvet fabric.

Really.

I've got a Ferrari to make and I'm picking out the curtains.

Beyond sad.

I'm turning wench, there is no denying it.



So which do you think - green or gold?

Blah blah

Oh, one bit of good news.
I've managed to get a pair of Gibson P100 pickups, which are like soapbar P90s but doubled-up so that they are humbucking. I'm not sure whether they will both go on this guitar or not - if I do the sustainer they probably won't, but we'll have to see. Also I'll have to do a bit of jiggling on the £100 front if I use both of them as at the moment I'd be over budget.

Decisions, decisivenessly am we.

Really though, green or gold?

No comments: