Wednesday 26 June 2013

See Moon, Cwy Like a baby


Well, as you have probably noticed - if noticing an absence makes sense - not too much has been happening recently, but hopefully this will change soon - and I may have a day to myself, which would be a bonus.

In the interim, I seem to have acquired a couple of Gibson SGs, which is fun.

My first proper guitar was an Epiphone SG, bolt-on-neck and all, and I've always liked them since then but never quite got a 'proper' one, until now. Unless I have and I can't remember, which is possible, lets be honest.

So anyway, long wait means I overcompensate and get two. Makes sense, really.

As for the SGs, well one is a bit special - but more on that another day as it immediately went to have it's frets banged back into place, and I forgot to take a foto first, so I thought I'd introduce the-other-one, as it were.

Well, it was kinda cheap, no breaks or major issues and is a 2002 SG Special Faded.

I've always preferred the bigger 'plate of the special and the lack of binding on the neck, so I'm quite chuffed with it.

As you can probably see it is a bit posh despite that as it has an ebony 'board with crescent moon MoP inlays which are rather lush. These were apparently only made in 2002 (and maybe 2003 - this is from '02 though) and clearly is destined to be worth millions in years to come (ahem). It looks like it is a one piece body anyway and the fretboard is lovely, so I can't say I care much.

As normal I think it will get a bit of a pimping. For a faded it does seem to have a fair bit of lacquer on it, and even a half hearted buffing has made it quite glossy, so I might see how far that will go. My Epi was super shiny and I don't think I've ever mollycoddled a guitar quite as much as that one.

The pickups I'm assuming are the originals, which are nice enough but a little bland, so I am thinking I'll get a couple of Mr Mojo's finest in there. Probably a pair of his PAFs, though a 'bucker sized P90 always works nicely. An Olde Worlde wiring loom from the chap will no doubt also go in whilst I'm in the mood.

One thing that is bugging me a wee bit is that the high e string is a bit buzzy and it goes out of tune quite easily. I've had a go at the nut and that seems fine, and I've smoothed off the bridge's slotty bit, but still no banana.

I'll probably change the tuners to Grovers as I prefer them tbh and the extra weight at that end might be useful as I'm also going to put a Bigsby B5 on and balance thy name isn't SG after all, and well...a nice Tonepro or Faber bridge is also on the list as well. Might as welll do these things in style.

In fact the only real question is whether to try a Vibramate so that I don't need to drill holes to fit the Bigsby.

Why take so much trouble over a cheapo guitar? Well, I know this one will stick around as it is the year Bratski#1 was born and I'll no doubt give it him at some point.

So other than changing everything and it's aunt Greta, it is just about perfect. Apart from I might change the strap pins to a couple of the big massive Gotoh ones.

In other news, I am planning to finally put The Chimera One together at some point this week. No really, I think I can remember how and everything.

La la laaaa






No comments: