Thursday 8 April 2010

Any colour you like apart from black

I got asked just the other day, why I don't try making some "proper guitars" and using finishes that people might actually want.

Which is a fair point
if predictible
and would make a lot of sense
if I was making
a lot of guitars
that I wanted to sell
to a lot of people
in shops.

But I'm not, I just want to make one-offs and
have them look - to my mind - pretty darn groovy.

I will get around to doing the amps and fx at some point too.
I promise.

Anyway, I find other finishes more interesting. there is too much homogeny in guitarland.

I don't remember Rock 'n' Roll being about conformity, but there we are.

We're all getting older I guess.

Maybe it is telling then, that a couple of guitars I have had a passing fancy for in recent times, are the Clapton 'tribute' from Vintage, "The Fool" and the Danelectro splodgy painted one who's name escapes me, but was also down to Mr C. back in the olden days before I as born.
Oh, it is the "Danelectro '59 Original Psychedelic".

Whatever the names, both are handpainted, and I like that. Even if it is still production-line, not arthouseexpandedmindfuckacidfriedelectricpopbottlebobbins.


Groovy.


No comments: