Wednesday 14 April 2010

Another Week In La-la land

Well, I guess it is school holibobs or maybe my Baggy boys getting promoted again, but time does just seem to drift on around here, with barely a committal. The Glittery One is trundling along, no new piccies, as it is still just a mass of gold and glitter and varnish-stuff, and I have to say I'm not sure how much of a 'player' this one will turn out to be.

What I mean is, all of our Jooky guitars are meant to be both artified-displayable and musicalified-playable, whereas this might edge toward the former.

We'll have to see, it was a bit of an experiment anyway, though my lad has fallen in love with it already.

As I say though, that is a slow burn, and I'm itching to get going on one of the other guitars - of which there are two in the offing.

The first is going to be based on a Les Paul type of thing which I picked-up from eBay. Lovely sustain and action on it, although the set neck always helps. That is one I'm looking forward to doing, and I have an idea for what should be a stunning finish.

The second is going to be another cloth finish. I love my 'offset' guitars, so a funky offset sounded a cool idea. Best of both worlds. I'm thinking that this will be a 'keeper' for me, but then you never know. Again, I picked-up a base body and neck from eBay, and it is the most resonant solid body guitar  I've played in I don't know how long. That is going to look uber-cool, by the time I've finished with it.

Where I am struggling is in finding the parts I want. Not sure if I explained before, but generally I have set a Jooky rule that all of the main parts of the guitars - neck, body, tuners and pickups - should be second hand if at all possible.

I also want to use interesting, but quality pickups wherever I can, rather than going with whatever is stock, or taking the easy option and buying new Bare Knuckle or Iron Gear pickups off the shelf.

It is a bit more of a challenge in a hunter-gatherer sense and anyway, I'm a 'messer' so it was good to see how a PRS P90 sounded in a Strat body - The Paisley One - or a pair of Gibson P100s sounded in a Tele - The Pretty In Pimp One - the answer being, pretty good in both cases..

But there we are, it keeps it interesting, even if it does means that I seem to spend more time haunting eBay and guitar forums classified sections than actually making anything.



Speaking of Les Paul's, here is a bit of Peter Green anyway, a fine toon.

No comments: