Monday 6 December 2010

A Katy's Killer Custom, Surely not...

Well, I spent a bit of time playing the OCD One today (without any dodgy buzzing), and despite the fact that I probably shouldn’t say this – it is a real stunner. I was meant to be handing it over to the main man, but that turned into a complete balls-up on my part, but hopefully it will finally happen tomorrow. Sorry Geoff :(

As I’ve said before, the choice of pickups was a bit of a shot in the dark, two Kent Armstrong lipstick pickups a la Danelectro/Stevie Ray Vaughan with a GFS Hot Liverpool Retrotron at the bridge, well who could possibly have told what that would really turn out like?

But all modesty apart, it is bleedin’ gorgeous.

The sound is immense, everything I hoped it would be, and with a fantastic clarity. The maple fretboard just feels beautiful, even I felt like I was flying over it, and the finish – while still Jooky at heart, just works perfectly. I must admit that initially I was a little worried that a covered scratchplate in this case would be a bit much and even suggested a plain scratchplate, but Geoff went with this and I have to say he was bang on the money, it is absolutely perfect.

To top it off, there is a little coil-tap switch to split the humbie, and just because I wanted to try doing it proper-like, there is a kill switch too. I mentioned before, that there is also a second scratchplate – with three Fender single coils in it, in case Geoff fancies a different look and sound…

So, the first of our Katy’s Killer Customs is finished, it took longer than I had originally hoped due to my jigsaw performance early on, and the wiring shenanigans, sick kids and blizzards later, but even so, what little delay that meant was genuinely worth it in the end.

I just hope Geoff agrees when he gets his hands on it soooon.

Sooper coooool, and not a little killer.

p.s. More fotos and blurb about the girl tomorrow..)

2 comments:

Fat Old Man said...

Geoff, you are a lucky bloke. It looks gorgeous and I bet it has a totally different sound and original feel.

thecurefan said...

These things cant be helped, family comes first in my book. It will be in my grubby little mits soon enough.
I'll be doing a write up, once I've had a play, about the whole process, to go on the blog.