Monday 3 March 2014

Broncotone

Well, I picked up this weird sort of Bronco meets Musicmaster body a while back, know nothing about it, but it is a bit of an oddity and let's face it, that always appeals.

Weirdly (or maybe not as I'm no expert) it is normal Fender scale, like a Strat or Tele, I mean, rather than the shorter scale I at first imagined.

So I nailed on an old Strat neck and it plays fine - the pickup is a horrid cheapo bar magnet thing, but surprisingly it sounds pretty good 'n' grungy and I have to admit I really rather like it.

But I can't really make up my mind what to do with it. Back in the sepia days of Jooky I would have covered it in paisley and had some fun, but I don't want to do that as it is a bit shonky in truth, so instead I thought I'd have a play at turning it into a Baritone.

The obvious way to do it is get a Warmoth or Allparts neck, but slack Alice strings apart, scale-wise, I read a suggestion a while back that simply changing it to heavier strings - 13-65 - would give a good approximation, so I'm going to try that first.

Obviously there will be a bit of tweaking involved (but it already needed a chunk of that, so no problem there) and I will no doubt put a better pickup in, but as a little fun-to-do, well, it seems fun to well, do. So I will.

I've got some chunky strings coming and if that doesn't work out will get a proper conversion neck.

So a plan of sorts, which let's face it is no plan at all.

La la laaaa

No comments: