Friday 25 March 2011

Loveless, on a Friday Night

Loveless and Ragged
Well, it has been a funny, kinda complicated week in Jookyland, but at the end of it I've got a better idea of where I am with it all. Pickups apart, the next guitar I'm going to do is nice and clear in my mind.

It will be my second 'go' at gilding, but this time will involve some faux, pre-aged/corroded gold as a top for the SG I was talking about.

I know, I go around in circles, but there we are. The reason for this is pragmatic, I've got everything I need for this one, whereas I need to spend some dosh on buying more gold if I'm going to do The Old Burny One, and I'm potless until something sells. (OK, the Daisy Jook One has flown the coop since I started writing this, but that'll just pay for pickups for this - The Old Burny One needs a whole lot more).

So, the SG. Well, it will have either a waxed or oiled body with a stunningly awesome (assuming I get it right) top of variegated gold, as it is known to us gilders. I think it will look pretty stunning and I would indeed have already started it today if the curse of the sick brats hadn't risen like Glenn Close out of a cold bath and screwed with my schedule, man.

Tidier and vaguely burnished
As for the pickups, I do know where I'm going with these as I want a P90 at the neck and a hot-ish humbucker at the bridge. I'm thinking maybe IronGear ones or if something sells soon I'll probably give Allan at Catswhisker a shout as I miss the Fat Pussy One's grit and venom already. (I am so poetic when I'm on my own, get me.)

Oh, I didn't mention the neck - this is going to be a bit swish. The SG body I have is obviously set for a bolt-on neck, and I have a quite off the wall handcarved one. Originally it was going to be Firebird like, then I changed my mind and went more for a golf club shape. Either way it is seriously Jooky and I'm loving it with the SG body. Tuners, I don't know at the moment, we'll have to see what happens. Nice bone nut though, that is for sure.

Speaking of bone nuts, I got a tip from my Bro' and bought some welding nozzle files for a couple of quid off Ebay, and these are absolutely brilliant for cutting or adjusting nuts. I'm sure the $130 sets from StewMac have something over them, but they are doing the job for me, and as I haven't got $130 for a set of files...they will continue to, I would imagine.

Name, oh yes, the SG will be 'The Loveless One', you'll see why when it is finitoed

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ INCIDENTAL MUSIC ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

And as it happened, a window of opportunity presented itself before I'd finished typing this, and I have in fact gilded the top of the SG body in an ersatz and yet variegated manner. Another one let it dry enough that I could generally tidy it up and give it an initial burnish (Gilder lingo, keep up.) Hence the different fotos.

Well fancy.

And all ragged again. How did I do that?
As you can see I took great care to overlap the leaf by a mere 2mm and didn't end-up with tonnes of golden leaf flopping around the place. (Assuming I put a picture up of the body after I've removed the extraneous masses of gold leaf that are currently flapping around the place. Which I won't have, lets face it.) and generally it looks rather stunning.

So there we are, The Daisy Jook One will be off to her new home - and keeping some stunning company, from what I've seen of the existing tenant - and we are off on our merry way with The Loveless One.
Not such a wasted day/week after all...

p.s. That was a perfect example on non-linear writing. Clear as mud with fotos to match... Mwah.

No comments: